Two major US technology firms ‘tricked out of $100m’

Hands on keyboardImage copyright
Thinkstock

Image caption

Evaldas Rimasauskas posed as Asian-based hardware manufacturer to trick staff into wiring him money

A Lithuanian man has been charged with tricking two US technology firms into wiring him $100m (£80.3m) through an email phishing scam.

Posing as an Asian-based manufacturer, Evaldas Rimasauskas tricked staff into transferring money into bank accounts under his control, US officials said.

The companies were not named but were described as US-based multinationals, with one operating in social media.

Officials called it a wake-up call for even “the most sophisticated” firms.

According to the US Department of Justice, Mr Rimasauskas, 48 – who was arrested in Lithuania last week – deceived the firms from at least 2013 up until 2015.

He allegedly registered a company in Latvia which bore the same name as an Asian-based computer hardware manufacturer and opened various accounts in its name at several banks.

‘Fake email accounts’

The DoJ said: “Thereafter, fraudulent phishing emails were sent to employees and agents of the victim companies, which regularly conducted multimillion-dollar transactions with [the Asian] company.”

The emails, which “purported” to be from employees and agents of the Asian firm, and were sent from fake email accounts, directed money for legitimate goods and services into Mr Rimasauskas’s accounts, the DoJ said.

The cash was then “wired into different bank accounts” in locations around the world – including Latvia, Cyprus, Slovakia, Lithuania, Hungary and Hong Kong.

He also “forged invoices, contracts and letters” to hide his fraud from the banks he used.

Officials said Mr Rimasauskas siphoned off more than $100m in total, although much of the stolen money has been recovered.

Acting US Attorney Joon H Kim said: “This case should serve as a wake-up call to all companies… that they too can be victims of phishing attacks by cybercriminals.

“And this arrest should serve as a warning to all cybercriminals that we will work to track them down, wherever they are, to hold them accountable.”

Two major US technology firms ‘tricked out of $100m’

9 Responses to "Two major US technology firms ‘tricked out of $100m’"

1. hidden wiki onion url   June 14, 2019 at 6:08 pm

784005 766066I appreciate, cause I discovered exactly what I used to be having a look for. 414872

2. เงิน ด่วน โคราช   July 1, 2019 at 10:56 pm

147862 838506excellent day, your internet internet site is low cost. I do several thanks for succeed 230044

3. https://cryptoinvest.is/   August 15, 2019 at 3:35 am

221416 40336You completed various good points there. I did a search on the theme and found the majority of folks will consent with your weblog. 382884

4. disabled card   August 20, 2019 at 2:50 am

744814 571342View the following tips less than and locate to know how to observe this situation whilst you project your home business today. Earn dollars from home 803298

5. https://adamdurski.pl/   September 30, 2019 at 12:03 pm

418974 260622you use a amazing weblog here! do you wish to have the invite posts in my small blog? 988391

6. w88top   October 14, 2019 at 11:47 pm

118351 450409I recognize there is a great deal of spam on this website. Do you require aid cleaning them up? I may possibly support in between courses! 58922

7. w88club   October 19, 2019 at 6:38 pm

728850 189730There is noticeably a great deal to realize about this. I suppose you created certain nice points in features also. 101452

8. Surfwearhawaii   October 26, 2019 at 1:46 am

943424 186105I enjoyed reading your pleasant internet site. I see you offer priceless information. stumbled into this website by chance but Im sure glad I clicked on that link. You definitely answered all the questions Ive been dying to answer for some time now. Will certainly come back for far more of this. 77897

9. ltc qr code generator   December 8, 2019 at 3:41 pm

61541 918876Thanks for your time so significantly for your impressive and wonderful guide. I will not be reluctant to endorse your internet internet sites to any individual who ought to receive direction on this problem. 366695