Week 2 of Season 24 got a little crazy.
Head judge Len Goodman turned into a bit of a grouch, judging some celebs as much as two points lower than the other three judges and getting booed by the audience. Maks Chmerkovskiy injured the calf muscle in his right leg during rehearsal with Heather Morris, forcing her to compete with Alan Bersten from the DWTS Troupe and leaving Maks’ immediate future unknown.
In addition, there was a malfunction for Artem Chigvintsev and Nancy Kerrigan when his microphone wire got wrapped around his costume jacket. And it took everything Keo Motsepe could do to get Charo to stop playing to the crowd and leave the dance floor after their paso doble.
In the first elimination of the season, both Charo and Keo, and Chris Kattan and Witney Carson were declared to be in jeopardy, while all of the other couples will be dancing next week. With the lowest scores on the leaderboard for both weeks of dancing, it was no surprise that Chris and Witney were the first to go home. Sadly, the rehearsal package before their jive performance detailed how Chris had broken his neck 14 years ago and had endured four surgeries since then that has left him with a spine laced with rods and screws.
“Please know how much we loved having you,” said co-host Erin Andrews. “I want you to stay. How was it working with Witney?”
“She was an amazing, amazing inspiration and I couldn’t have done this without her,” Chris replied. “I wish that my surgeries and all that was noted before, but it wasn’t — and that’s OK. I had an incredible, incredible time.”
Top Three Dances
1. Once again, Rashad Jennings and Emma Slater were amazing. I know that athletes do very well on DWTS, but Rashad is really terrific. This week’s Viennese waltz was so different from their cha cha last week, but both dances were outstanding. Judge Carrie Ann Inaba said he had “effortless control” and a “good connection” with Emma, while Len said it had “flow, movement. Bottom line: I liked it.” Score 32 out of 40.
2. Also doing a Viennese waltz were Bonner Bolton and Sharna Burgess. I didn’t know what to expect from a bull rider, but he really has great moves and only needs a bit of polishing. Judge Julianne Hough said he was “a perfect example of taking something and simple choreography and executing it beautifully.” Score 29 out of 40.
3. Rocking the house were Normani Kordei and Val Chmerkovskiy with their cha cha, especially impressive since the pair had returned today from Japan where Normani was touring with Fifth Harmony. Len called it a “full routine, terrific,” and judge Bruno Tonioli said, “That was not jet lag, it was jet set!” Score 32 out of 40.
The Oops Group
1. Charo cut down on the comedy a bit this week, but she seemed to focus on her dress, instead of her footwork. And after the scores, she once more “attacked” Bruno and tried to stay to talk to the judges, while Keo pulled her off-stage. She should be more focused on performing the dances and not so much on performing her act for the crowd, IMHO.
2. I was expecting much more from David Ross and Lindsay Arnold after their great dance last week, but their cha cha just didn’t have much cha cha and had more goofing around to the ’90s dance music. He had fun, but the judges told him to work on his footwork and foot placement. I hope he listens to them because I think he and Lindsay could go far.
The next few weeks ought to be exciting, judging by the themes that host Tom Bergeron announced. Next week will be “Vegas Night,” followed next week by dances inspired by “My Most Memorable Year.” At the halfway mark of the season (April 17), it will be “Disney Night,” which is one of my favorites.
Who will be the next to leave the ballroom? There are a few couples at the bottom, but you never know what will happen. See you next week — keep dancing!
Celebrities, partners and scores:
Rashad & Emma: Carrie Ann, 8; Len, 8; Julianne, 8; Bruno, 8 = 32
Normani & Val: 8; 8; 8; 8 = 32
Heather & Alan (subbing for Maks): 8; 6; 8; 8 = 30
Simone & Sasha: 7; 7; 7; 8 = 29
Bonner & Sharna: 8; 6; 8; 7 = 29
Erika & Gleb: 7; 7; 7; 7 = 28
Nancy & Artem: 7; 7; 7; 7 = 28
David and Lindsay: 7; 6; 7; 7 = 27
Charo & Keo: 6; 6; 7; 6 = 25
Nick & Peta: 7; 5; 7; 6 = 25
Mr. T & Kym: 6; 5; 6; 5 = 22
Chris & Witney: 6; 5; 6; 6 = 22 (eliminated)
‘Dancing With the Stars’: Chris Kattan eliminated, Maks Chmerkovskiy injures leg – The Mercury News