Kyle Busch’s confrontation with Joey Logano and Logano’s crew after the Kobalt 400 at Las Vegas Motor Speedway likely won’t lead to any sanctions, NASCAR Vice President Steve O’Donnell said an interview on Monday.
O’Donnell told SiriusXM NASCAR that Sunday’s post-race scuffle that left Busch with a bloody forehead is “under review” by series officials, but so far the examination of video footage and talks with those involved in the incident haven’t shown the need to suspend or otherwise punish those involved.
“I think our intention would be not to react unless we see something we haven’t seen yet (or) something comes up with from those discussions,” O’Donnell said. “We will certainly bring both drivers together before we got on-track at Phoenix and, again, have some further dialogue. It’s still under review, but it’s an emotional sport and it shows how much every position is worth on the track. These were two guys weren’t going of the win, but for top 10s.”
Busch was forced to move down the track on the final lap of the race after Brad Keslowski’s car had mechanical issues in front of him. That put Busch in Logano’s racing line. Busch’s car tapped Logano’s, the impact of which sent Busch’s car spinning toward the infield.
“I would say from our initial assessment last night and looking at what happened, as far as on-track, I don’t think we saw anything that was intentional by any means,” O’Donnell said. “We will continue to review that.”
Busch placed the blame on Logano in a televised interview after the race on Fox.
“I got dumped,” Busch said. “(Logano) flat-out drove straight into the corner and wrecked me.”
Logano finished fourth in the Monster Energy Cup Series race won by Martin Truex Jr. Busch fell to 22nd.
“I was racing hard there at the end,” Logano said. “He tried to pin me hard down there into the corner. I was going to spin out, so I tried to chase it up. And he was there. It was nothing intentional, but obviously he thinks that.”
The series’ next stop is Sunday’s Camping World 500 at Phoenix Raceway.
NASCAR official: Punishment unlikely for Kyle Busch and Joey Logano after pit-road fight – USA TODAY